Commentary on Matthew 27:46 "...my God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

This phrase "...my God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" appears in more than one gospel and is a quote Jesus references from Psalm 22:2.  

Some suggest that Jesus recited this as some of the last words on the cross to show that he is the one whom these words refer to.  In this way, Jesus displayed to the Jewish religious leaders that he was the Messiah appointed to suffer and die for the sins of mankind as the scriptures foretold.

At this same time, physical evidences of Jesus's deity were also evident in the earth such as darkness midday 12 to 3 pm, the earthquake, and most significant veil being torn.  This veil was huge and not easy to rip.

This is also the only time in scripture that Jesus addresses God without saying Father.  He is making a passionate appeal as we see that scripture says he "cried out."

It was a moment of anguish and pain yet done willingly.  Isaiah 53:10 "Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise Him.  It was God's plan for redemption and Jesus willingly submitted to it.

Jesus wanted like any human not to endure the "cup" of God's wrath but He divinely willingly submitted to taking the sins of the world upon himself.

Why?  Because God so loved the world He would do what He must do, even at great cost to redeem His one creation made in His image, mankind.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A modern parable by Steven W. Hunter (A tool for teaching parables)

Finding Happiness in the Christian Life

Hebrew meaning of Matthew 3:17 "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."