A Christian commentary on motivational teaching

 Most motivational speakers in religious, philosophical and secular motivation emphasize self-actualization, self-motivation, self-gratification, self-assurance, self-reliance, and self-love.

There are many positive things that come out of these secular or religious teachings.  There are many truths, but all of these come short of "The Truth".

At the core of each of these motivational teachings is an emphasis on SELF.
Self-focus, self-absorption, self, self, self. The focus is on self.

Self is the PROBLEM, not the SOLUTION.
Self-focus is the reason you now need help.

I can delude or convince myself that I am something or not something.  And I might get results for a time.  I can motivate myself to action or to overcome an issue but in the end, I truly have no assurance.  I have no real confidence.  I have no reliance upon truth or assurance upon a non-changing and reliable constant that will truly tell me who I am.

Each of these motivational teachings pulls us away from truly seeking or submitting to God.
Each of these motivational teachings pulls us away from truly valuing others.
Each of these teachings tells us who we are by the opinions of man, not by our Creator.

So...what is the solution?

For Christians, truth, freedom, joy, peace, and purpose come from a different starting point.
Christians value: 1) God first, 2) Others more than ourselves, 3) Finally, we humbly realize our great worth as a child of God and as brothers & sisters of all others He created.  This perspective helps us to find our worth in the fact that we are told in God's word that we are unique, called, set aside, a sanctified people.  We are created by God with gifts that are designed to serve Him and His creation.  We don't need to convince ourselves we are happy, because we have something others cannot take... JOY.  We are not convincing ourselves of anything as God has already told us who we are.  Who better than He who made us?!  We don't need to convince ourselves that we can do it.  God tells us, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phil 4:13

Interestingly, we find the answer to who we are by not looking to ourselves.

It's good to have confidence.  It's good to be motivated.  It's good to feel you have a purpose.  It's bad when it's SELF CENTERED, SELF SERVING, SELF ABSORBED.  I am a good person (so others will like me thus serving self).  I am good to others (so others will like me and serve me).  See the problem?  See where this humanistic thought system leads in its inevitable end?

God created us, sustains us, blesses us, motivates us and gives us assurance in who we are.  We focus on HIM, not US to ultimately find who we really are and to give our lives joy, peace, and purpose.

Seek God first.  His Word first.  Read the Bible, Seek God & you will find who you truly are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A modern parable by Steven W. Hunter (A tool for teaching parables)

Finding Happiness in the Christian Life

Hebrew meaning of Matthew 3:17 "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."