Happiness...Is it a Christian goal?

Reading this article, I was reminded of how elusive happiness is. We say, "I'll be happy when..." Then we get there and we aren't satisfied. It really hasn't been reached yet even though we hit our goal.

When asked if he was happy being a millionaire, one millionaire said, "I'll be happy when I make my next million." It seems happiness is somehow always out of reach.

I have heard countless athletes say that when they finally achieved their trophy, championship, gold medal, etc that they thought they would finally be satisfied and happy. When they got there, they were even more unhappy and disappointed.

I have seen newlyweds quickly lose love for each other when the honeymoon wears off. I hear phrases like, "He doesn't make me happy!" Although both the man and his wife are good people they divorce due to a lack of happiness. Their marriage goal is unattainable and unrealistic.

As a Christian, my happiness is not based on attainment, financial goals, athletic achievement, or any of many good things. It is not depleted by circumstance or achieved. My happiness flows out of a great thing, JOY, an untouchable element that only comes from Christ.

This article is thought-provoking with good research.

It's a good read although he leads to another conclusion, it provokes real thought...

We’re Getting “Happy” Wrong: Why We Need a More Sustainable Model of Happiness by Atenik Tank


His conclusion is "focus on what drives you." If what drives you is an addiction, hurts, habits, revenge, lust, greed, etc, that can lead in a bad direction. Our drive may be part of the problem. Although for many his advice may be good, as Christians we need a more complete solution that only a redeemed relationship in Christ can provide.

Know that in Christ, we are not making our goal to seek happiness. Our Christian goal is to seek holiness. In doing so, we experience happiness in fulfilling our relationship with Christ and the joy that cannot be stolen by circumstances.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A modern parable by Steven W. Hunter (A tool for teaching parables)

Finding Happiness in the Christian Life

Hebrew meaning of Matthew 3:17 "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."